St John's Port Albert


St John's looking fabulous


Regular Worship Times:
1st and 3rd Sundays 9.00am







The Friends of St John's Inc.
The Friends of St John’s Inc. was formed in July 2014 by interested locals to help promote and develop St John’s Church, Raglan Street Port Albert. St John’s is the last remaining church in Port Albert and as such is worthy of support. As a place of worship St John’s is a focus of community and spiritual life for the town. It contains maritime history including memorials to those who died at sea and items from The Paddle Steamer Clonmel the wrecking of which off Port Albert led to the establishment of the towns of Port Albert, Tarraville and Alberton.
The Friends of St John’s Inc. have helped to renovate the church; restoring and painting it outside, building a new picket fence, repairing stained glass windows, clearing and replanted gardens and some minor repairs inside. This has been achieved through various fundraisers including; Whisky and Wildfish Degustation, ANZAC Day Bush Dance, Sunset Soirees and various raffles.
The Friends also help to create opportunities for community engagement through their support of; The Blessing of the Fleet, Sea Sunday Winter Lunch, The Blessing of the Animals, The Reaffirmation of Wedding Vows 2016.
The Friends of St John’s Inc. purpose is threefold -
  1. To provide for the restoration and renovation of St. John’s Church, Port Albert
  2. To provide an inclusive environment for community members for Port Albert and surrounds.
  3.  To trade via fund raising for the above purposes including market, raffles, music recitals etc.
If you would like to join this group (and you don’t have to be a church goer) please contact the President Ray Walka raywalka@hotmail.com
WHISKY TASTING AND TAPAS 
The World of Whisky near and far!
Saturday 9th September 6.30pm for 7.00pm
Port Albert Community Hall, Victoria Street, Port Albert
Tickets: $45.00 per person includes delicious tapas to compliment tasting of 2 Australian, 2 Scottish and 1 American Whiskey, selected especially for the evening
Presented by: The Friends of St John’s Inc. and celebrated Melbourne Whisky Experts, Julian White & Brooke Hayman
Julian and Brooke are the owners of Whisky and Alement and
The Melbourne Whisky Room. Julian has been working in the Whisky industry for 8 years. He and Brooke travel widely collecting over 1100 bottles of rare whisky from around the world. Some of their favourites are included at this event. Julian has presented innumerable tastings and master classes and is one of three judges for the Australian Distilled Spirits Awards R.A.S.V. Julian’s entertaining style and detailed knowledge will delight experienced whisky lovers and introduce newcomers to the world of whisky.
Tickets: Barbara Knibbs 0427 458 919






Welcome to St. John's Port Albert!

WORSHIP TIMES: 9.00am 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month
St John’s is the only church in Port Albert still providing regular services. It is a vibrant and growing congregation who are enthusiastic about preserving this historic church as a place of worship and as a place for the community to gather. Worship is warm and relaxed. We use the Anglican Prayer Book for Australia with hymns from the Australian Hymn Book. Sometimes we add some modern worship songs too.
NEW FENCE - St John's completed renovations to the property in 2015, including, repairs to aging weather boards, painting and a new picket fence funded by sales from a book on the history of the church by local historian Melva James and fundraising by 'The Friend's of St John's Inc.'

New Fence
The congregation is a vibrant one of friendship and love, where all are welcome to worship and fellowship together twice a month on a Sunday (the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month).
The St John’s congregation has a particular connection with the sea. This has led to a commitment to The Mission to Seafarers. We celebrate Sea Sunday each July with a simple service and lunch in the Port Albert Community Hall. Over 100 people attend our Blessing of the Fleet each year.
Blessing of the Fleet 2016 at the Slip Jetty Port Albert


Sea Sunday at Port Albert Community Hall









A group also gathers weekly for Bible Study and a cuppa. Please contact the Rev. Jo White if you are interested in joining the Bible Study group.
Although much restoration work has been completed there is always work to do.
The community have said "without hesitation that closure was not an option for this beautiful historic wooden church, built with so much faith, hope and hard work".
Those who worship at St John's Port Albert are continuing to repair and restore the building. The church yard and gardens have been replanted and create a lovely place for barbeques, soirees and The Blessing of Animals held in October each year.
Blessing of Animals

Please keep your eye on Yarram Parish News or contact the Rev. Jo White for details of the next "working bee".      We really appreciate extra helpers when work is needed.

St. John's Port Albert History

Second (current) church building opened 1885
St. John's Church Port Albert was once upheld, in the days of prosperity, as one of four churches in the Port Albert area, but now stands as the only remaining active church.

The current church building was officially opened in 1885.  The current building is the second building that replaced the original building. In 1884 "the village witnessed the dramatic rescue of the church furnishings" when the original building was destroyed in bush-fires; furnishings which remaining in the building today.

[First church building
opened 1863]
As believers, we know the Church is not the building itself and yet the building is the place which is established so that the Church, the people of God, gather to worship the risen Lord Jesus Christ.

Having a church building is so important to the congregation as a place to meet, to hold their memories and to grow together.  The Church is an important asset to any community, which is why the people of Port Albert requested a place in which to worship. This request was granted, and the building opened on the 8th of March 1863.

[Information & Photo Source: St John's Anglican Church Port Albert, compiled by Melva F. James, Yarram & District Historical Society Inc. Jan 2011]

The Church of our Fathers (Poem)

The Church of our Fathers? So dear to our souls,
Ay, dear as the life-blood within us that rolls?
We'll rally around her, by dangers unaw'd-
The Church of Our Fathers! The Church of our God!
Built on the Apostles and Prophets alone-
On Jesus, the Saviour, and Chief Corner-Stone:
The winds may arise, and er prospects deform,
She fears not the tempest, she dreads not the storm.
From the Church of our Fathers we'll never depart:
She's entwined round each fibre, each nerve of our heart!
The Church of our Fathers! Our glory and crown,
We will unimpair'd to our children hand down.

[Poem taken from "Church of our Fathers" by the Rev. Albert E. Clark]